PREA – PRISON RAPE ELIMINATION ACT
The Prison Rape Elimination Act of 2003 is a federal law created to eliminate sexual abuse in confinement settings. This legislation mandated the development of national standards intended to address the detection, prevention, reduction, and prosecution of sexual abuse and sexual assaults in all correctional facilities. The DuPage County Sheriff’s Office is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for staff and inmates.
The DuPage County Sheriff’s Office has a zero-tolerance policy with regard to sexual abuse and sexual harassment of inmates, either by staff members or other inmates. Inmates have the right to be free from sexual abuse, from sexual harassment and from retaliation for reporting such incidents. Sexual acts or conduct between inmates or between inmates and any staff member, even if consensual are prohibited and are subject to administrative and disciplinary sanctions as well as possible criminal action.
HOW TO REPORT INSTITUTIONAL SEXUAL ABUSE AND/OR STAFF SEXUAL MISCONDUCT
If you have information regarding an inmate who has been sexually abused or sexually assaulted while in the custody of the DuPage County Sheriff’s Office, please contact the Sheriff’s Office at (630)407-2400 or the Anonymous Crime Tips (ACT) on the Sheriff’s Office website (http://www.dupagesheriff.org).
You do not have to give your name, but it is critical that you provide as many details as possible. This includes:
- The name(s) and locations of persons involved
- The names(s) or description of any witnesses to the incident
- Jail identification number (IR#)
- A brief description of the incident(s)
- A brief description of where the incident(s) occurred
- The date(s), time, and place of the incident(s)
- Names and contact information of others who might have additional information about the incident
- Your contact phone number and address (optional)
REPORTING INFORMATION FOR INMATES
Inmates incarcerated at the DuPage County Jail are encouraged and instructed to report incidents of sexual abuse or sexual harassment immediately. Inmates have the option of:
- Reporting the incident in writing
- Reporting the incident anonymously
- Reporting the incident verbally to any staff member
- Contacting the Mutual Ground Sexual Assault Hotline by speed dialing 7732# from any inmate telephone
- Having a family member or friend report the incident on their behalf by contacting the Sheriff’s Office at (630)407-2400 or the Anonymous Crime Tips (ACT) on the Sheriff’s Office website ( http://www.dupagesheriff.org )
The DuPage County Sheriff’s Office shall investigate all reported incidents of sexual abuse and sexual harassment. The Office will discipline and, when appropriate, refer for prosecution those individuals determined to be perpetrators of such conduct.
AGGREGATED SEXUAL ABUSE DATA
PREA AUDIT SUMMARY REPORT